The trial (and maybe tribulation) of a simple sheep farmer trying out cell grazing in a field that lots of people can see. I know very little but what I do know is that cell grazing has the potential to increase my grass yield by at least 50% and may be even double it. My rent is around 30% of my cash output from my sheep enterprise ... if I can double the output, effectively halving the cost, its a significant step forward. Its worth a try!

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Make it smaller, and don't take as long ...


Saturday. Sheep move to first proper cell (temporary paddock).  Its 0.67 Ha.  There are 118 head weighing in total 5772 kg.  They enter with grass at 2,600 kgDM/Ha and left today with it standing at 1,800 kgDM/Ha.  Around 3.5% of body weight consumed per day in grass dry matter.
That was a three day grazing.  I can see the merit in grazing more stock on a smaller area for a shorter time.  The grass becomes dirty and a uniform grazing is not achieved (preferential grazing very obvious).  I’d like the sward to be left shorter too. Slightly worryingly they drank no water.
Saw something on the internet that was describing really intensive mob stocking and talking the cattle equivalent of 2,000 ewes per half hectare but these were sometimes moved twice a day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment