The trial (and maybe tribulation) of a simple sheep farmer trying out cell grazing in a field that lots of people can see. I know very little but what I do know is that cell grazing has the potential to increase my grass yield by at least 50% and may be even double it. My rent is around 30% of my cash output from my sheep enterprise ... if I can double the output, effectively halving the cost, its a significant step forward. Its worth a try!

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Something for the Weekend? ...


It’s a big issue ... you know ... time.  It is the be all or end all for cell grazing.  How much time - spent on just making the cells - is worth any additional production.  The key, of course, is to limit the time spent and optimise the production.
My plan is to 1) use some labour saving kit and 2) make the cells for the next 7 days in a couple of hours at the weekend (somehow time at the weekend seems cheaper).
The first part of the plan arrived in the form of a Pallet of Wonder from Rappa Fencing.  It includes a machine you can put on the ATV and can take down and put up electric fences really quick.

The Pallet of Wonder 

I need a lot of practice with the Rappa machine but am hopeful.  Fencing will still take time and on top of this is measuring the areas, designing each block for ease of access as you move from cell to cell and making sure they have water. 
I’ll be honest - I’m worried it is taking too much time already.  All my doubts are coming to the fore, all the shaking of heads from those that are sceptical seem almost justified. But I need to give it time.  Be patient.  Think it through. Find solutions.  
I also need more stock to make it worthwhile.  A Techno Grazing man I met last week said to make the best use of your grass you have to breath livestock in and breath livestock out ... in other words trade stock as well as breed stock.  Tomorrow I’m going to market ... and no one can stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment