The trial (and maybe tribulation) of a simple sheep farmer trying out cell grazing in a field that lots of people can see. I know very little but what I do know is that cell grazing has the potential to increase my grass yield by at least 50% and may be even double it. My rent is around 30% of my cash output from my sheep enterprise ... if I can double the output, effectively halving the cost, its a significant step forward. Its worth a try!

Friday 13 May 2011

An Ounce of Action, A Ton of Theory ...

The key concept of cell grazing can be summed up in one number and one word: 3 days
3 days represents the time (in peak growth) that a ryegrass plant will produce a new leaf following grazing.  If its leaves are continually defoliated it has to rely on its reserves within its root source to try and grow again. This represents a major challenge and stress to the ryegrass plant. In set stocking situations defoliation of the new leaf continually happens and growth is considerably hindered.  However, if the new leaf is allowed to grow without defoliation, dry matter yields have the potential to be significantly increased.  
In the UK we look down alot!  We look at soil, at soil analysis, at moisture.  These are all vital but I don’t think beef and sheep farmers look up enough ... 95% of a ryegrass plant’s needs come from sunlight. Its leaves are solar panels. By defoliating once and allowing for unhindered recovery after 2 to 3 days grazing, we can allow the solar panels to work.  Grass grows grass.  


Nice Platemeter!

In addition, I’m hoping for far less preferential grazing; far more usage (actual consumption) of any grass grown;  better fertility transfer (manure spreading); and improved sward composition with ryegrass and clover percentages increasing compared to poorer species.
I also want world peace and for Scotland to win the Rugby World Cup this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment